Mote: The Super Meeting
Mote : The Super Meeting by David Wethey
Published June 2015
The book is now available in good bookshops and on Amazon.
Click here to order your copy on Amazon.
Better meetings. Better decision makers. Better decisions – history, assumptions, culture
Part One: The Great Meetings Dilemma
- Why do we need better meetings?
- ROI – time means money
- Meetings the bane of corporate existence
- Alignment doesn’t produce decisions
- But discussion and debate can help a lot
- Poor process and what we can learn from it
- Taking meetings seriously, and why they can so easily be ineffective.
- The Meetings Dilemma
- The Hydra syndrome – everyone going off in different directions at the same time
- Confusion between process and content – talking about how to discuss topic or what to discuss
- Unclear roles and responsibilities
- Data overload
- Repetition – going over same ideas again and again
- Traffic problem – managing conversation and ensuring everyone gets chance to speak
- Confused objectives and expectations
- Problem avoidance
- Poor meeting environments
- Becoming great Decision Makers
- The role of decision-making in high performing companies
- Your role as decision maker
- New Perspectives on what decision-making is and how to apply it in daily business life as an individual and team member.
- Why everyone should strive to be a Smart Decision Maker
- A clear understanding of the principles and techniques of decision-making as a foundation for success.
- Creating a Decision Culture through better meetings
- Decision-making: the cornerstone of high performance companies…and people.
- Good Behaviour – Decisiveness as a cornerstone of high performing companies. Bringing entrepreneur principles into the corporate environment
- Bad Behaviour – Nightmares, decision traps, reasons why corporate decision making is so often flawed
- Understand why successful organisations require a high level of decision making .
- Go from dysfunction to high performance decision-making
- Improve Decision Making by re-engineering the meeting
- Use new, improved meetings to bring about a major improvement in a business’s decision making
Part Two: From Meeting to Mote
- Introducing the Mote
- Deconstructing the meeting and reconstructing it as something else
- What is a Mote? Where does it come from?
- History, derivation
- A Mote is a turbocharged meeting dedicated to making a decision
- Types of motes
- Preparing the Mote
- Preparation is everything; Goal? Decision?
- That’s the ONLY item on the agenda
- What has to be done off-line
- Planning (the Pre-Mote)
- Data, information, analysis
- Who attends?
- Stepladder technique
- Casting – add only one member at a time
- The Diamond shape
- Start small
- Bring in experts
- Narrow down the group as we near a decision
- Good behaviour
- Debating Society conventions
- No overtalking
- Conducting the Mote
- Key DOs and DON’Ts
- There’s no magic formula. We need to practise and do exercises to learn how to overcome these problems. There are solutions to all the above issues – and demonstrate
- The techniques of conducting a successful mote
- Realizing the Mote
- Communicating the Decision- Enlisting the implementers
- Implementation – making the decision right
- Tracking the Decision- assuring performance
- Learning and feedback
Conclusion – Ten Points of Mote
Appendix – Survey your organisation
Appendix 2 – A checklist of how to prepare for a successful Mote